Universal Design & Museum Accessibility at KidZone Museum
Parking: There is one designated accessible parking space located next to the Museum’s parking ramp.
Entrance: The entrance has no exterior or interior steps and accommodates wheelchair entry.
Public Restrooms: Accessible restrooms are available at the entry of the building.
Access Services: Bus transportation from Kings Beach Family Resource Center and Truckee on Thursdays (call for schedule)
Exhibits are 75% accessible for wheelchairs and 100% accessible to children age 2 years old.
KidZone Museum received a grant to evaluate our overall accessibility to the people in our community. This is a broad focus of accessibility and includes ADA requirements as well as accessibility to our young audience. Questions that were addresses include: Are exhibits developmentally appropriate for the intended audience (children 2-5)? Is transportation available to the Museum for those who need it? Is the Museum providing written materials in the languages of our audience? Do we have scissors and art materials that accommodate children with special needs? Met Life sponsored the evaluation and donated $6000 to make recommended upgrades.
We have made the following upgrades thus far :
- Lowering the stage floor (excluding the jungle) to accommodate a typical one-year-old’s ability to go up and down.
- Removal of the stream, as it is not conducive to wheelchair play.
- Changing the signage in the Infant Area to be less busy and to increase readability.
- Adding yellow paint on the front steps to increase awareness. Adding information in Spanish to our website, KidZoneMuseum.org.
- Provide transportation to the museum two times a week.