Updated March 23, 2020
Local health and emergency
- Tahoe Forest Health System (TFHS) in Truckee has updated their COVID-19 Hotline number to (530) 582-3450 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Learn more about their COVID response
- Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation Emergency Community Resources
- Comcast is offering 60 days of “internet essentials” for free to low-income households in response to COVID-19. Call 855-846-8376 (English) or 855-765-6995 (Spanish) or www.internetessentials.com for a free modem with WiFi router.
Here are some age-appropriate resources we’ve pulled together about Coronavirus and children:
- CDC: Frequently Asked Questions and Answers: Coronavirus Disease-2019 (COVID-19) and Children
- Boston Children’s Museum: Cover Your Cough and Sneeze! How to Teach Kids to Cough/Sneeze into Their Sleeves
- Small people can have big feelings when they hear about scary information on the news. Here’s an article on how to speak to your children about Coronavirus
- CDC: A video to teach your children how handwashing helps prevents the spread of Coronavirus
- Homeschooling: Information on how to lay the foundation for learning from home (ie. benefits of a schedule, incorporating recess, art projects). Read more about homeschooling
- Scholastic Magazines: Free of free learning experiences including stories and videos for grades Pre-K to 6th grade. Learn more about free magazines.
- ABCmouse.com: Inexpensive learning experiences for kids Pre-K to 2nd grade including reading, math, art, science, and social studies.
- Subscriptions for learning from home: A comprehensive list of educational resources and learning for kids K- 12. Get the list
- Keeping Kids Busy: Identifies 18 at-home ideas for kids K through 12 including storytelling, healthy habit videos, yoga for kids, free worksheets, and virtual field trips. Get the list
- For Comcast subscribers: They have created collections of educational videos. Say “education” into the remote control to explore options.
- Do it yourself activities
- Free STEM Lesson Plans
- United Way: They have set up a COVID-19 Economic Relief Fund to assist with bills, rent, and food. Call 1-866-211-9966 and provide your zip code for a list of local agencies to provide assistance.
- Resources for Working Veterans: The CA Labor & Workforce Development Agency has created a list of resources.
- Resources for those in the Bay Area: San Francisco Chronicle provided some resources